11 February 2011

Jeanette Miller

A beautiful pillar of strength and grace passed into the arms of Jesus yesterday. She's survived by her husband Doug, and their two teenage children.

As hard as it is for those of us left behind when a loved one passes, Jeanette is now living in true glory and is praising God face-to-face, not with sadness or regret--only love. Jeanette and I talked and prayed a lot over the issue of peace and rest. Now she has both, thanks be to God.

It's interesting to me, but not at all surprising, that many of the verses God gives us about peace involve also our hearts. I think He knows how much the two are connected and I know that there is an emotional response in our hearts to the peace that comes only from Christ. Here are a few verses I'm praying and using to renew my mind with Truth as I honor and remember Jeanette, seeking out God's peace and searching for His voice to comfort my heart:

Jeanette
Isaiah 57:1-2
Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For those who follow godly paths will rest in peace when they die.

Revelation 14:13
And I heard a voice from heaven saying, "Write this down: Blessed are those who die in the Lord from now on. Yes, says the Spirit, they are blessed indeed, for they will rest from their hard work; for their good deeds follow them!"

2 Timothy 4:5b-8a
... Don't be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you [what a ministry Jeanette had to me, to her family, to each of us who knew her. What a walking example of the Good News that comes in Christ alone]. As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God.... I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me--the crown of righteousness, which the Lord will give me on the day of His return...

Rest
Hebrews 4:10
For anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from His.

Comfort
Isaiah 49: 9b-10
The Lord says..."Come out into freedom!"... They will neither hunger nor thirst. The searing sun will not reach them anymore. For the Lord in His great mercy will lead them; He will lead them beside cool waters [and give them comfort and rest].

Peace
Philippians 4:7
You will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 48:18b (Jeanette heard and listened to the Lord)
... you would have peace flowing like a gentle river and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea.

John 14:27
I {Jesus} am leaving you with a gift--peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid.

John 16:30
I {Jesus} have told you all this so that you may have peace in Me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world!

Colossians 3:15
And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.

May the Lord be with your spirit. And may His grace be with all of you (2Tim 4:22).

We love you, Jeanette. Amen.

No comments: